How to Apply for Financial Aid
This year Exeter has allocated over $18 million in financial assistance to 45% of the student body. This assistance is need-based.
Families who anticipate needing financial aid at any time during their child's career at Exeter should apply for aid at the time of the admissions application.
- It is not possible for Exeter to consider requests for financial assistance after admission decisions are made.
- Students who apply for financial aid may be in a more competitive situation for admission to Exeter.
- Financial aid is available primarily to United States and Canadian citizens.
- International students are eligible to receive financial aid. However, Exeter has limited funds available for this purpose.
Families apply for financial aid at the same time they apply for admission. Please be sure to check the appropriate box on the Applicant Information Form. A completed financial aid application consists of the Parents' Financial Statement (PFS) and income verification in the form of tax returns. Please see specifics below.
We use School and Student Services (SSS) to process financial aid applications. SSS is a service of the National Association of Independent Schools. Based on the financial information you provide, SSS gives us an estimated amount your family can contribute to educational expenses. This helps us make fair and objective financial aid decisions. For questions about using SSS by NAIS please call (800) 344-8328.
To begin your financial aid application for the 2014-2015 school year, follow the steps below. Exeter's school code is 5764.
The following must be submitted to SSS by NAIS no later than January 31, 2014:
- Parents' Financial Statement (PFS) for the 2014-2015 academic year
- Starting on November 1, 2013, go to sss.nais.org
- Click on the prompt to begin your Parents' Financial Statement (PFS) for the 2014-2015 academic year, do not complete the 2013-2014 PFS.
- Create an account and be sure to save your user name and password. This will allow you to save and return to your PFS at a later date. Complete and submit the PFS. We recommend doing so online if possible as this is much more efficient.
- If you prefer to fill out the paper version of the PFS, it is available in PDF format on the SSS by NAIS website. Complete the PFS and submit directly to SSS by NAIS. Be sure to retain a copy of the PFS for your records.
- 2012 federal tax return (1040), with all supporting schedules and forms, if you have either S-Corp or Partnership listed on Schedule E of your 1040, please submit the corresponding K-1's, and Form 1065 or 1120S.
- 2012 W-2 form(s) and/or 1099s (if applicable)
- 2012 student federal tax return (if applicable)
- Non-US residents must submit official Income/Asset Verification Forms for 2012 such as foreign tax returns or wage statements and also complete and submit the International Student Financial Aid Profile Form.
The following must be submitted to SSS by NAIS as soon as possible after January 31, 2014:
- 2013 W-2 form(s) and /or 1099s (if applicable)
- 2013 federal tax return (1040), with all supporting schedules and forms, if you have either an S-Corp or Partnership listed on Schedule E of your 1040, please submit the corresponding K-1's, and Form 1065 or 1120S.*
- 2013 student federal tax return (if applicable)
- Non-US residents must submit official Income/Asset Verification Forms for 2013 such as foreign tax returns or wage statements.*
*We recognize that your 2013 federal tax return or income verification forms may not be prepared by our deadline; please estimate your tax information on the PFS. Any award that is made prior to receiving the 2012 federal tax return or income verification forms is tentative. This documentation is required in order to make a final award of financial aid. Please submit that documentation to SSS by NAIS as soon as possible.
For questions about the PFS or submitting documents please contact SSS by NAIS (800) 344-8328.
How to Submit Documents to SSS:
All tax documents must be submitted directly to SSS by NAIS. You can submit your 2012 documents before your 2013 documents are available. We recommend uploading documents directly to SSS by NAIS, if at all possible, as your information will be processed and delivered more quickly to Exeter. Your documents will be handled with the utmost level of security.
Documents may also be mailed directly to SSS. Please be sure to print and include a PFS cover sheet from your account when submitting documents to SSS. This will ensure your documents will be matched to your PFS application and avoid delays.
Mailing address: For overnight mail, use this address: SSS by NAIS SSS by NAIS PO Box 449 437 Turnpike Street Randolph, MA 02368 Canton, MA 02021
A major assumption of Exeter's financial aid program is that parents have an obligation to finance their children's education to the extent they are able. That assumption includes the expectation that each parent in a family will work if there are not elementary school age children in the household. When a parent is not working it will be important for the family to provide an explanation of why that is the case. Exeter reserves the right to "impute" an income for a non-working parent in determining a family's financial need.
- The Financial Aid Committee will consider the financial resources of both biological parents, if living, before making an award. The Committee does not feel bound by the assertion, if it is made, that one parent disclaims responsibility for educational expenses. If either natural parent remarries, we shall bear in mind the obligations of that parent to his or her new family. If the parent with custody remarries, we shall consider the resources of the stepparent. However, we shall bear in mind the obligations of the stepparent to his or her natural children.
- In a divorced or separated family, a separate PFS should be submitted for each household. The Committee will take responsibility for contacting the non-custodial parent. Please include contact information for the non-custodial parent on the Application Information Form.
- If tax information is in a language other than English, we would appreciate a translation of that material.
- Exeter does not require a copy of the SSS Business/Farm Statement form.
- If you had stated your intention to apply for aid, but have since decided not to, PLEASE NOTIFY THE FINANCIAL AID OFFICE IMMEDIATELY.