Phillips Exeter Academy Summer School opens with registration on Sunday, July 3, 2016, and remains in session for five weeks, closing on Friday morning, August 5, 2016. Because Exeter’s seminar-based classes depend on the contributions of every student, students are required to attend the full five-week session.
The Summer School welcomes highly motivated students who are ready to embrace the challenges of a demanding academic program and to undertake their studies with enthusiasm and diligence. At Exeter, you will become part of a community of intellectual peers, fellow students who share a desire to take advantage of all that the Academy offers.
Admissions Procedures:The Summer School Admissions Committee will consider applications only after all materials have been received and the application fee has been paid. Because ours is a rolling admissions process and spaces fill quickly, we strongly advise you to apply early. As you prepare your application, please refer to the Application Checklist to ensure you complete each requirement.
Students who have completed grades 7 or 8 are eligible to apply. International students may apply for ACCESS EXETER, but must be fully fluent in English. ACCESS EXETER applicants living outside the United States: please note that in processing your application, the Admissions Committee may telephone you to conduct a brief interview. The purpose of the interview will simply be to help us confirm English-speaking fluency.
UPPER SCHOOL:Students who have completed grades 9, 10, 11, or 12 are eligible to apply. Course selection is essential to the application process. The sections in the Summer School Catalog marked Academic Requirements, Selection of Courses, and Course Descriptions include information necessary for UPPER SCHOOL students to choose courses and create their own schedules. Guidelines about making course changes, general information about Summer School’s curriculum, and typical daily schedules appear in these subdivisions.
All Students Must Provide The Following Information:
- Complete the Exeter Summer Application for Admission and submit the appropriate non-refundable application fee. Fees: Domestic applicants $65; applicants with a postal address outside the United States $100.
- Provide Math/Science Recommendation, English/Humanities Recommendation, and Guidance Counselor/ Principal Form via our online application. Recommenders will be sent and email with our required recommendation form link once the student application is submitted. We only accept recommendations through our online system, do not have teachers send us recommendations until they receive the email with their specific form. Official Transcripts (including current grade) and testing records may be mailed or emailed to us directly from your school, the Principal/Guidance recommender will receive this request. For more information about submitting the recommendation forms please review Using the Online Recommendation System.
- Submit a Personal Essay via the online application. All applicants must prepare a one-to-two page personal essay that should include a description of their interests and abilities along with any other background information they wish to share with the Admissions Committee. In addition, applicants should describe a significant event, person, or experience that has influenced their outlook on life and their goals; or describe their involvement in a specific activity of particular importance to them. Finally, their essay should include a statement outlining their reasons for wanting to attend Exeter’s Summer School.
- Non-native English speakers must also submit a recently graded English paper with teacher’s comments. UPPER SCHOOL students must submit a documented TOEFL examination score greater than 600 for the paper-based test or 100 for the internet based test, if they plan to enroll in English classes other than English for Non-Native Speakers, (i.e., any course listed under the EWS section). For more information about the TOEFL exam, please visit www.ets.org/toefl.
- Financial Aid applicants, please refer to the Tuition and Financial Aid page for more details on applying for financial aid.
- Use the Application Checklist to ensure that all of the required application pieces are submitted.
Summer School application materials that are not submitted online can be submitted the following ways:
email@example.com (when communicating with our office via email, please be sure to
always include your full name as it appears on your application in the subject field)
Summer School Admissions
Phillips Exeter Academy
20 Main Street
Exeter, New Hampshire 03833-2460
- The Summer School Admissions Committee will not consider an application until all required materials have been received. It is the responsibility of the applicant and family to ensure that all papers are submitted promptly. Late or missing documents may jeopardize a candidate’s chances of admission.
Note to Parents:
- We urge parents not to encourage their children to attend Summer School unless the students themselves are strongly motivated to do so. A student who enrolls reluctantly is unlikely to have a happy or productive experience.
- The Summer School has a rolling admissions policy and begins reviewing applications in December. Typically, we mail first acceptances in December. The Summer School, which often fills to capacity early, cannot accept all of the qualified applicants who seek admission. We strongly advise candidates to submit their completed applications early. You should be aware that certain courses fill quickly; if you apply early, you increase your chances of getting into your first choice of course selections. ACCESS EXETER students who apply early have a better chance of being placed in their academic cluster of choice. Once we have reached school capacity, the Admissions Committee establishes a waiting list.
Interviews and entrance examinations are not normally required. Summer School admits male and female students of any race, color, religion, or ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally made available to students at the school. Exeter’s Summer School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, or ethnic origin in the administration of its educational policies, hiring practices, or athletic and other administered programs.